Friday, November 23, 2012

Blog 11: KEBABS, SWEETS, AND STREET DANCING


Blog 11: KEBABS, SWEETS, AND STREET DANCING
Thursday and Friday 22nd and 23rd November
My wife Aylin in Ataturk Park, Adana
Today Aylin and I took to the streets in search of some gifts for back home and also beads! :-/ We ventured into the old Adana town districts and after making a few turns to throw of a man we suspected of following us, we found a few interesting places to eat and look for gifts. Besides some wonderful shoes, some colourful authentic costumes, we also stopped by a great shop they make fabulous hand calved jewel boxes and chests. (one street back from the clock tower – look at previous blog for map)  I wanted to buy but taking wood back to Australia presents problems with customs. We looked, admired and had to move on.
My wife managed to walk us in circles in our attempt to find bead shops (beads, beads, beads!! My wife eats them at night I’m sure! Lol) We worked up quite an appetite so I suggested we eat Kebab. Aylin said there was a famous Kebab restaurant not far from us. She remembered the shop from teenage years. It was establish in 1940.

ASMAALTI (kebab Restaurant)

Famous “apparently” for great Adana Kebabs.

The shop its self was larger than most middle to low range Kebabs shops which are just a few tables big. The tables were simple with plastic table cloths and reasonable clean though my wife had to ask for a new plate as the one they supplied was dirty and there was an injured bird as few feet from us which was a little sad and not nice to look at whilst eating. (not a good start)

I had high expectations as this place has existed for the past 72 years for some reason and according to my wife, made great Kebab. I also have high expectations because all the Kebabs I’ve eaten in Adana were reasonably good. Adana Kebab is my favourite food in Adana.

Well I was to be extremely disappointed as too was Aylin.

The salads were poor and tasteless. They had some resemblance to Adana Kebab salads but that was all. (I love salads so always leave a clean plate after a meal.) This is the first time in Adana I couldn’t eat all the salad because of its taste. It turned me off.

The bread was thicker than usual and less plentiful than other Kebab stores. The actual Adana kebab lamb strip lacked the spice and normal fabulous flavour that makes an Adana Kebab famous. In fact it tasted like beef mince rather than lamb, little taste.

I was so disappointed I just wanted to leave. It turned me off Kebab for the day. Whatever made this restaurant famous many years ago, wasn’t there. Maybe “Asmaalti” need to go back to the old formula and start over because they have obviously lost whatever they may have had.
To restore my faith before I leave I will go back to HACI SALiH Restaurant (earlier blog) for a good Kebab or to Mass Kebab who  make a fantastic Kebab. (Mass Kebab is a bigger and more expensive Kebab restaurant but they are worth the money for the taste, service and salads.
Asmaalti restaurant get a 4/10 for me.
I won’t give directions other than it’s also close to the old clock tower. I won’t return there.


“TAS KADAYIF” is a “MUST TRY” when in Adana.
Next stop the sweet stores you will find along any main street in Adana. They make great “stand and eat” pastry sweets.

For about 30cents Australia you can help yourself to a choice of little pastry treats. You just pick one out, they wrap in paper for your fingers not to get sticky, and you just stand and eat it, pay and move on.  Everyone does it here.
My favourite is this little pastry wrapped around walnuts and soaked in liquid sugar (They are called “TAS KADAYIF”). Sounds fattening and no doubt is but yummmmy!!! There are many types to choose from. Kind of like Baklava but lighter.  I took some photos because they explain better than I do and a link to pictures also below.


Turkish fate “KERMES”


Yesterday afternoon we were out also looking for beads and we stopped in to a “Kermes” which is like a “fate” back in Australia. A whole group of ladies cook some delicious foods, use some off street space and sell their home made treats for very low prices in aid of some good cause or charity.

We had some chocolate cake type sweet and a sago custard desert topped with coconut and Chi (tea) of course. All for a few lira.  Very nice.

Ataturk Park

Lastly for this blog today, something new to say about the beautiful Ataturk Park that I didn’t mention before.  The flowers and sun was out late in afternoon when we past so I snapped some nice pictures of my wife - below.
Hip pop and wrap dancing at Ataturk Park

But I wanted to point out that Ataturk Park has a great little area set up for dancing. Hip pop and wrap dancing! Frequently when you walk past you can be treated to some skilful examples of this type of dance. These guys are obviously very fit and really very talented. They are happy enough for you to stand by and watch and I recommend it! It’s amazing to see these guys spin on their heads and hold themselves up one handed. A great feat of strength and agility.






A “MUST SEE” if you like dancing.

And that’s a wrap for these past two days.

Cheers


Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment