Sunday, December 2, 2012

Blog 13: "Adana's back streets"


Blog 13: "Adana's back streets"

Hanedan Mh, Adana


In today’s blog I just wanted to point out that there are many hidden treasures in Adana that you only find by wandering around with someone who knows the city, like my wife and her parents.


Kuruköprü Sokak (13. Sk.) is one such street. We spend a lot of money in this street because there are so many bargains to be had. There are many little gems to explore here. I will point out 5 in this blog! 5 “Aces in one pack” (5 great stores in one street)


The first thing to point out is the street doesn’t look like much and neither do the stores. They are like many “back streets” in Adana. To the unsuspecting eye you would walk right by it.


I have traced out route to the street for you in the google map picture and take note, if you walk that way you will find many great little shops (we also spent money in) in the proceeding streets.


Firstly Shop number 1 on my map: LUGGAGE REPAIRER.

This is a little shop where they repair luggage. (just next to it is a great shop for bed linen and material but I haven’t blogged specifically about that shop) My zippers were busted on my luggage (3 in all) and I needed them fixed before we left Adana so we took my bag here. It was fixed in 5 minutes for less than 5 lira!! Nice man too. Good to know because luggage gets knocked around a lot travelling!

Shop number 2 on my map: KEBAB SHOP – Fuat Usta

I have already mentioned this little Kebab shop in previous blogs but wanted to mention you can get a great Adana kebab wrap for $4! Great when you having a busy on the run shopping day.

Shop number 3 on my map: OZKAN TAKI BIJUTERI BONCUL DUNYASI (Beads Beads Beads!!)

A great bead shop at just about wholesale prices. Certainly you won’t get prices like that back home in Australia and there’s so much more variety! (I spent alot of time sitting outside this shop waiting for my wife! lol)

Shop number 4 on my map: GUNAL TICARET & PAZARLAMA Wholesales for all types

 Kitchen trays, cups, etc… and ordainments and lots of “nit-knacks” Come to this store and you’ll pay half what you pay in the formal street gift stores on the main streets. We brought some great silver decorated cups.
Shop number 5 on my map: Wholesale Men’s Clothing
(Sorry don't have it's name so look for store in the pictre)

Here mostly business shirts, trousers, ties etc. The quality is fantastic. I brought many trousers, shirts and ties here because the quality is so much better than the thread bare uniforms that always fall apart that they provide me in my work back in Australia.

At one quarter the price of what I pay for uniforms in Australia, here you’ll get at 3 times the quality.

It’s just a rectangle shell shaped store, the clothing is nicely displayed. I recommend you try the cloths for fit. Only there’s no change room here because they are wholesalers. But they will hold up a large piece of cardboard for you whilst you try on things! Lol I recommend you wear some good undies or better still, boxer shorts for the visit! Lol




Correction: Cassurra Business Gomlek:

The shop I listed as “number 5” is actually on the next street down parallel to this one (35002. Sokak (2. Sk.)Hanedan Mh ) and the Men’s wear Shop’s name is Cassurra Business Gomlek.




 I know this because I went back there today to purchase more products. I recommend them for their fine quality garments. If you’re walking this way walk around the circle an d you’ll find a host of wholesale or very inexpensive great stores.
 Ozgelinkaya Cakes, deserts, pastry’s, sweets,



And lastly one our way back from this street we visited a desert and pastry shop called Ozgelinkaya. It is on the main road intersection where all the mini buses stop.


We brought many cakes here a number of times and also many sweet pastry’s on the walk by. Price is very good at this shop and quality also great. YUMMY!!


When I mentioned I was from Australia at this shop I was overheard on the street and many people called out “gday mate!” and “Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oy Oy Oy!” which is an sporting chant back home. It was nice.

 That’s all for today folks.

 Cheers

 Andrew

1 comment:

  1. Hello, interesting blog. Adana has grown so much since I lived there from 1961 to 1964. How come there are so many high rise buildings now? Ziya Pasa Bulevard had only villas in beautiful gardens. At the baraj lake, like we called it, there were no houses at all. We used to go swimming there. To go shopping I took an arabaji. Greetings from Qld.

    ReplyDelete