Thursday, November 29, 2012

Blog 12: Adana Park


Blog 12: Adana Park and Park Café.
29 November Blog, 2012


Well it’s been a few days since last blog and that’s mostly because I haven’t done too much out of the normal routine. I have walked the streets of Adana again, sampled another Adana Kebab which I will describe shortly and visited a few uniquely Turkish venders.
We went to the wonderful Central Park, Adana again and enjoyed the gardens, a picnic with family and small hobby train ride with hundreds of other locals on a Sunday afternoon. On a Sunday afternoon it’s a very popular place to be in Adana. Last time we went on a train ride there was about 7 on the carriage. This time, our one little train carriage had 18 people crammed into 8 spaces! Lol) There’s about 15 or more carriages and one little small, built obviously very powerful engine to tow them.  That’s over 200 people on this little train!! Omg!

We have also taken a train trip to Mersin to see the ocean and walk through the markets and a country drive to a village by the see to visit more family. I my blog about that later but today I just wanted to blog about a positive experience with The Park Café, Adana.

 THE PARK CAFÉ’ “RESTORAN”

This restaurant is in the heart of Adana business and market district (Explored a lot now in my blogs) It was my next choice to sample Adana Kebab because last year in 2011 I sampled a pizza there and it was pretty good.

The first thing that is a positive about this restaurant is it is totally upstairs off the main street but still very visable to find. The Park Café is roomy and has a view of the park next door (hence the name).

It’s also has a view of the very busy main road but I ask you, what restaurant in Adana doesn’t have a busy road next to it?? Traffic in Adana is very noisy as people mostly use horns rather than indicators to move about.
Tables at this restaurant were plentiful, lots of choice in location to sit, clean and the whole place looked more cared for. This is nice because many affordable restaurants here in Adana, even though the food is generally good, lack pride in the presentation of the space you eat. In Australia we take alot pride in the presentation of the space because that’s what attract the customers. Although we  also charge a much higher price for food maybe as a result of the expensive decore??

The impression is good first off. I chose to sit by the window (or lack of a window it was open air) so I could have a view of the park. But quickly retreated to a more shady table due to the heat of the sun. Even in late November the sun has heat here.


From the outset the service was great. A nice gentleman attended to us (my 2 year old son and I) straight away. When he discovered I spoke English (isn’t hard to realise I’m not a local! Lol) he quickly introduced another gentleman waiter that had a very good understanding of English. He was very good to my son also, suggested a dish my son may like to go with my order of Adana Kebab. He went on to engaged me in a nice conversation to make me feel welcome.

When the food arrived I was very pleased and relieved because of my last experience (last blog) Firstly, the kebab had the pleasing appearance with salads that appeared both tasty and fresh.

The rice yogurt dish was great and they provided a smaller spoon for my son. Little Michael-Emre still hasn’t developed the Turkish obsession for yogurt but he certainly polished off (ate all) the rice which was delicious!


As for the salads; Fresh, they obviously took some pride in the appearance of the salad and the taste did not disappoint me. Well-proportioned for a meal for one, I felt quite fill at after eating. The tomato salad was tasty, moist but not sloppy like the last place I went. The salad was crisp and fresh. You can’t ask for more.
As for the lamb Kebab strip. Very tastily and like I have grown to expect from a  good Adana Kebab, spiced very nice so you can taste each proportion that you break off to wrap in the Turkish bread. And the bread was thin but fresh and tasty. Much better than the thick stuff I encountered elsewhere and perfect for wrapping kebab pieces together with salad.

But the real plus with The Park Café’s Restaurant was the service. They went out of the way to make me welcome, see that I was enjoying the food and also a real plus for me was the way they welcomed my son. They did things to engage him like a tomato bottle trick and talking with him and giving him a lolly pop as we left.
The owner / manager even came over to greet me in English, hoping I enjoyed my meal and thanked me for eating with them. Wow. It really was great service and they gave me a complimentary Turkish coffee at the end. This a nice touch from the waiter.


All three (2 waiters and the manager) wished me well as I left and the waiter assisted my me with the pram down the stairs.


All-round a good experience.
1 x Adana Kebab and salads
1 x Yogurt / Rice dish
1 x Cola
1 x Water
Complimentary Coffee
= 20 lira
 9/10 Congratulations and thank you to The Park Café staff. J

Cheers

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment