Sunday, November 3, 2013

Blog 21: How to fly from Sydney Australia to Adana Turkey! Airline Reviews



Singapore Airlines


3 journeys equalling 32 individual flights (1 flight = 1 passenger x 1 route)


Singapore Airlines maintains a modern fleet of 105 aircraft. As of 1 October 2013, the average age of our fleet stands at six years and eight months - making it one of the world's youngest and most fuel efficient.


Flying to Singapore on the first leg of the journey to Istanbul is the A380-800 and the A330-300 and then the B777-200 on the second leg from Singapore to Istanbul.

Singapore is a very modern and clean airport.

 Picture above - Singapore Airlines flight Istanbul Dec 2012



Of all the airlines, if you can manage to fly the A380-800 on the first leg from Sydney / Melbourne to Singapore, then you’ll have the most comfortable of flights. It’s larger, more comfortable and makes less sound. 


SYD – SINGAPORE – 8.5 to 10 HOURS depending if you’re flying there or back

SINGAPORE – ISTANBUL – 9 to 10 HOURS depending if you’re flying there or back

Service: Very Good
Food: Very good
 Baggage allowance in economy is usually 20KG but sometimes they have specials allowing 30kg



I love flying Singapore airlines, service and food inflight is good but, and it’s a big but! If you have young children, be prepared, Singapore have a habit of changing your flights after you have booked to different days. 


On one trip they changed two of our flights, twice! This made accommodation and booking arrangements difficult and offering no compensation for lost money due to hotel cancelations. This has happened in 100% of our flights over 2 years with our young child. I would give Singapore Airlines our highest rating otherwise. 



But this has soured our experience and we voted with our feet and our last trip in 2013 we took Etihad instead.

Another reason I am disappointed with an otherwise a great airline, is their frequent flyer points. I’ve had them all expire each time without being able to take them for all the red tape and hidden taxes they have. 


We tried to use their frequent flyer points to buy tickets on our domestic flights in Turkey with Turkish Airlines which is a partner airline and covered under their Star Alliance frequent Flyer program. It turned out that after all the taxes and charges Singapore Airlines charges, to use the points, we had to pay some cash extra which was double, yes double the price of buying the tickets direct from Turkish Airlines. How totally ridiculous!!! 


That actually means their frequent flyer program was worthless to us and we didn’t get a thing after paying what equates to 32 individual international flights! All frequent flyer points expired without being able to use them. Thanks for nothing Singapore Airlines!

Score from Aussie in Adana 7.5 A380-800 are great planes, inflight service good. Flight changes and Frequent Flyer program poor.




Etihad Airlines


3 journeys equalling 24 individual flights (1 flight = 1 passenger x 1 route)

Etihad has one of the most modern fleets in the world. Etihad Airways is the flag carrier airline of the United Arab Emirates. Established by Royal decree in July 2003 and based in Abu Dhabi, Etihad commenced operations in November 2003. They have a fleet of 85 Airbus and Boeing aircraft with an average age of 5.1 years. They won ‘World’s Leading Airline’ at the World Travel Awards in 2011.


They offer three travel classes: Diamond First Class, Pearl Business Class and Coral Economy Class. They have brand new aircraft with the latest in-flight entertainment systems. If you fly to Istanbul on Etihad you will most likely fly on a BOEING 777-300ER JET on the long leg to Abu Dhabi and an AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A333 JET on the short leg from Abu Dhabi to Istanbul.




Both good and modern aircraft though they don’t have the isles space or lack of noise of an A380-800. But their entertainment system is first class (though the sponges on the ear phones tend to fall off) They also have a cool lighting system for take-offs and landings, changing colours and providing a really nice ambiance.




Service: Good (though in my last flight when I asked for hot chocolate I got water and I asked for tea I got Coffee! Something was lost in translation I guess so the beverage side I think was lacking)
Food: Very good (though they ran out of variety by the time they served out meals so we had to go with what was left rather than a choice of 3)

Baggage allowance in economy is 30KG!!

Etihad fly to Istanbul via Abu Dhabi InternationalAirport which also a clean and less confusing airport than Dubai with Emirates. 








The upside is, overall it’s a quick journey, around 19 to 20 hours flight time.
The down side is the first flight from Sydney to Abu Dhabi is 15 hours!! That’s a hell of long time if you have a small child. My tip: Take the night flight, leaving late in the evening from Sydney. This flight chases the moon all the way. The flight is in complete darkness and you’re more likely to sleep naturally and more importantly, so are you kids if you have some. (The same advice for the Emirates Airlines as they have similar journeys)




SYD – Abu Dhabi – 14 to 15 HOURS depending if you’re flying there or back

Abu Dhabi – ISTANBUL – 4 to 5 HOURS depending if you’re flying there or back

Score from Aussie in Adana 8.5 New fleet and overall service great.


Malaysia Airlines


1 journeys equalling 4 individual flights (1 flight = 1 passenger x 1 route)

Malaysia Airlines won ‘World’s Leading Airline’ at the World Travel Awards in 2013.
The Malaysia Airlines fleet of 88 planes consists 6 types of aircraft, namely: the Boeing 747-400, the Boeing 777-200ER, the Boeing 737-400 and -800, and the Airbus A330-200 and -300 and Airbus A380-800. It was a Boeing 747-400 that I first took to Turkey in 2007.
With Malaysia the most common rout is via Kuala Lumpa.




SYD – Kuala Lumpa – 8.5 HOURS depending if you’re flying there or back

Kuala Lumpa – ISTANBUL – 11.5 HOURS depending if you’re flying there or back

Kuala Lumpa airport is modern and big. Just beware, they can change the order of men’s / woman’s toilet’s around which can confuse the unsuspecting (me). 


I walked up one terminal passing 3 toilet blocks before deciding to use the 4th which was near my gate. The first 3 were men’s followed by women’s, however the last one was women’s followed by men’s.  I didn’t expect this change. 


It wasn’t until I was in and using the toilet before I realised my mistake. I heard all woman’s voices outside the cubical door and much to my embarrassment, had to walk out to their astonished looks as I was in the “women’s” toilet!


It didn’t end there. I walked out and also realised I had left my mobile phone on top of the toilet! Duh! I had to walk back in and retrieve it. It’s a good thing all the women spoke in a foreign language to me and I didn’t understand a word they said! But I got the general message! lol

Service: Excellent
Food: Very good

Baggage allowance in economy is 30kg


My review is a bit dated but I always remember Malaysia Airlines as by far the best service I received on all my trips. Maybe I just got lucky with good flight attendants, but I remember they went out of their way to make us all comfortable. I say us because I made friends with a host of passengers bond for Turkey and we had a great time which was supported by the wonderful and beautifully dressed flight attendants. 



They may have an older fleet, but I never knew it as this was one of the few flights I really enjoyed, and that’s saying something from a man who at the time who had kidney stones to deal with! I have been on better planes since and maybe better meals, but it’s always Malaysian service that sets my bench marks.

Score from Aussie in Adana 8.5 - Service a winner!


Korean_Airlines


1 journeys equalling 4 individual flights (1 flight = 1 passenger x 1 route)

Korean Airlines have a total of 149 aircraft as of March 2013. They do have the A380-800’s which I like but also a lot of the older 747’s which I flew with them in 2008. 



These days you’ll be on most likely a Boeing 777-200/200ER for both legs of the journey and it will still take you two days to get there as per below. 

Another dated review so I’ll keep it short. My flight to Istanbul was via Seoul/lncheon on a very cold winter’s day. I remember the seeing the mountains around Seoul completely encased in snow, cold, non-inviting.  

But the upside of a slightly longer flight was Korean Airlines put me up in first class accommodation for a one night stop over as part of the flight and that was made even better because the flight was also the cheapest to all others! I remember the Korean Airlines flight to Istanbul  so well, because after the good night’s sleep, shower and meals at the 5star Hotel (also in the $1500 flight ticket), I arrived the most refreshed of any airline before or since.
It was a fascinating route over china to Istanbul with some great views from my window. The service was good, but lacked on the inflight entertainment.

Service: good
Food:  good

Baggage allowance in economy is 20kg


SYD – Seoul/lncheon – 12.5 HOURS depending if you’re flying there or back

Seoul/lncheon – ISTANBUL – 11.5 HOURS depending if you’re flying there or back
One story to share. On my return journey I was stuck at Istanbul Airport during a snow storm. All flights were delayed by 8 hours. But one flight got out, My flight. The 747 was de-iced 2 times which was scarey to watch. No other flight was allowed to leave but somehow Korean Airlines was allowed took the risk, fly out through the heavy snow. It was risky and scary and gave me the impression they take risks where others don’t. Great if your late and don’t care. But…..  :-/

Score from Aussie in Adana: 7.5. Older fleet, but good stop over. Website is poor compared to competitors.



Now I have not done review on Emirates who fly  Sydney to Istanbul because I have not flown with them, but my wife has. And by her experiences she would put them up there with Etihad. 



My inlaws and sister in-law have done the journey from Istanbul to Sydney return with a combined flight of Turkish / Qantas Airlines Via Hong Kong.  They said the Turkish international flight was good (Istanbul to Hong Kong and Return) and they rate well but Qantas was poor from Hong Kong to Sydney return. 

Although I haven’t flown that route with Qantas, (my Australian National Airline), I would have to say I have plenty of experience with them to other international destinations. And from that I would say the Qantas of today is much less that the Qantas of the past. 

Service is poor and their fleet is being neglected. Their management appears to be stripping the airline to the bare bones and the once “Spirit or Australia” is lagging behind the rest in spirit. Very disappointing for an Aussie to say this. I hope they get their act together, but until they do, I am not spending my money with them.


Here ends the International Flights review.

Domestic:

It’s only a 1 hour 10 minute journey to Adana from Istanbul (depending on airport and airline) and at Ataturk Airport you can walk easy from International to Domestic so fly from there.

I have plenty more to say about the Domestic Flight services in Turkey and will do so in future blogs but two tips for future travellers going to Adana.

1: Book you flights yourself online. A travel agent will book the highest price flight and you pay double. Since paying $500 for a return domestic flight in Turkey through a travel agent for 1 person, I now book for 3 for the same flights for half the price online. 3 people, less than $250 AUD!

2: Turkish Airlines! Safe, reliable, better service, higher luggage allowance and you get a snack and drink on flight. The others  you pay extra for everything and it’s a bit of a cattle class.
Hope this has all been helpful.



Cheers
Aussie in Adana









No comments:

Post a Comment