Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Blog 9: Adana Haircut


Blog 9: Adana Haircut – The best and most freaky haircut I have ever had!

 Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012

 I’ve experienced this before so it was less of a shock this time around. My Adana hair cut was in 2008 and I was shocked then I can tell you!! Lol And scared somewhat as well!!

It’s a good thing I had my wife with me because if you don’t understand what is happening it can be a bit alarming to the Westerner. As an Aussie male it also feels like attack on any male macho senses you might have! Lol



My hair is straight, strong and thick!  I spike it because, well that's all it's good for! It's the type of hair I commented once to an Australian hairdressers back at home saying “my hair is horrible isn’t it!” and they replied “yes it is!” lol


It’s also the type of hair that looks easy to cut, so at home the hairdressers normal takes one look at me, and the hands me on to the 1st year apprentice. So I have a book worth of horror hair cut stories about the 15 minutes apprentice haircut.
Funny thing is after this 15 minutes "lunch break" haircuts they have hide to ask me for $26 Aussie dollars (about 42 lira) and I am stupit enough to say “Thank you!” :-/

But here in Adana the story is much different!! The fashionable young Adana male is stylish and sheik, hair spiked to the centre, styled with precision. In Turkey the hair dressers are mostly male and mostly “straight”.

My experience at home in Australia was hairdressers mostly female and expecting a wink from any male ones! Lol (Ironically the gay male hairdressers have the best reputation in Australia.) But my hair was always cut by females.

So you can imagine how I felt with my first hair cut here . It wasn't the usual 15 minutes lawnmower apprentice hairdresser cut I'm used to, but nearly 2 hours long work of art! It was an Adana hair cut made also  with the aid of 5 guys all doing different tasks! Can’t see the “Paul Hogan” Aussie male sitting through this experience can you? Lol

So for the blog and as “MUST TRY” I have sacrificed myself for another Adana haircut.

The salon I chose “ABBAS” was first rate and very clean salon, with music TV and free tea and coffee at the offering. ABBAS Hair solon is locate on 64014 Sk (14 sK), Adana


https://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&tok=xDENe_6wIjCYPU-_ckJUzQ&pq=64014+sk+(14+sk),+adana&cp=9&gs_id=5&xhr=t&q=64014+Sk+Adana&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=38093640&biw=1957&bih=921&bs=1&wrapid=tljp135284461707200&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

We pick up the cut about 45 minutes in, The male hair dresser has already finely machine trimmed the sides of my hair and sculpted what felt like every hair with scissors and an array of other tools which were handed to him, one by one, by another male who was assisting the cut. (like a doctors gets handed a scalpel and other tools in surgery)

I was very impressed with his care to detail and how it was important to him to make it all perfect before moving on.


The photos start with him using a very fine layering tool on my hair, and then trims my eye brows and nostril hairs!!! Lol  He did ask and would normally also trim my mustache and goatee, but I declined this time around. My first hair cut in 2008 that was all a bit freaky, but not as much as the next procedure to come!!



Next: They lite this flame wax stick that they twirl expertly with naked flame around your ears, face, forehead and nose to burn away any hairs and leave your skin shinning and hairless! OMG!! (Not for the faint hearted this hair cut! Lol)




Then it’s the electric trimmer to the back and sides, making perfect your lines and hairless your neck.

 Next is the shampoo. They have a selection of shampoos you can choose from and it all comes complimentary.


What is vastly different, is you don’t go to another place and lean back into a bowl so you don’t get water on your face. With Adana haircuts you lean forward into a bowl and get totally soaped up and saturated by at least two hairdressers. It also involves a pretty strong but nice head massage.
Tip.: Open your mouth and make an air tunnel so you can breathe! lol


After that it’s a towel off and then the cotton buds to the ear holes!! Lol They really clean them out! I was freaked out in 2008 when the man stuck his fingers in my ears but this time I’m an experienced veteran! Not! :-/



Next process which my wife didn’t get a photo of, was the molding gel. The hairdresser finely sculpted every hair, from one side to the next with perfect care and pride of workmanship. You don’t see pride in trade so much at home and when you do you pay through your nose for it!! (Aussie term for a lot of money! Aussies hairdressers charge a fortune, especially for women.) That is not the case here in Adana and you can get a super hair cut for a women just as cheap as men.



After that, two types of hair spray were used to hold the mold.




Then little white blotches of face cream was dotted around my face and then finally worked in to invigorate and soften my skin. (I was offered a facial mask but declined)




The to my surprise the hairdresser complimented me on how nice my hair was to work with and how nice it is (in complete contrast to Aussie hairdressers) and then said I look like the latest JAMES BOND! LOL

 He obviously couldn’t see I was hiding my molded “6 pack” with a few good meals! But hey, I’ll take that compliment!! J



And then I was done! “Mashala!!” Fabulous!! Best cut ever!


Really this was a first class. A little freaky but 1st class. I have never had anyone or group of people work on my hair with such pride and care and these guys did it why style and pride.

Hats off to Adana Hair Dressers, you could teach Australian Hairdressers a thing or two!!

A “MUST TRY” for any male. Common, you’re away from home, nobody is going to see you!! lol

 And the price for all this care, product, cream and time???

 Only 20 Turkish lira!!! (Approximately $11.50 Australian) Now that is value for money!!

That’s all for today and for a week as I travel to another city for 7days. Back soon!


Cheers

BOND… JAMES BOND! J

No comments:

Post a Comment